Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

The secrets to yummy homemade fries!

I have tried making homemade fries many times! My family loves fries but I don't often buy the frozen ones. I found a recipe and tips in a ParentsCanada magazine though that actually work! It is the tips that make the difference.
Tips: 1) use a dark baking sheet (it will conduct heat more evenly)
2) spread about 1 T of oil onto the baking sheet and put it into the ove. Then preheat the oven to 450 F (oiling and preheating will keep your fries from sticking)
3. Spread the fries on the hot pan in a single layer and make sure the pan isn't too crowded, or the fries will steam instead of brown.

Recipes vary for fries - basically I use either potato or sweet potato, cut in wedges, toss with a couple tablespoons of oil, sprinkle salt on to taste. Sometimes I use seasoning salt or other spice. I have also used egg whites instead of oil. The key I think though to make crispy fries is not to cook too many at a time. If you have a convection oven, I would put at least two pans in. With my oven, I bake my fries in 4 batches which is time consuming but worth the effort!

1 comment:

  1. I've also noticed if the potatoes are soaked in ice cold water first that too helps with the crispiness. But make sure you're potatoes are well drid before putting them in the oven.

    ReplyDelete