Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday thoughts - Transient vs. Eternal

2 Corinthians 4:18b "For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

Pastor Paul, in his sermon on Hebrews 8 today, talked about how the temple in Jerusalem was a shadow or copy of the heavenly temple and so the earthly temple was inferior and the heavenly one is superior. He pointed out that "for the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." (2 Cor. 4:18b) and how often we reverse the two in our thinking and practice - we think the things of this earth are what is real and the things of heaven are not real.  But in reality the things of this earth are not real - they are transient, temporary, a shadow and will not last and the things of heaven are real - they are eternal, they are the original. Then he asked "What are you living for?"

This hit home for me - what am I living for? It is so easy to be focused on the transient - day to day living, jobs, responsibilities, cares, fun activities etc. However I want to carry these out with my eyes lifted upward and my focus on Jesus  - for He is what is better, eternally better. For He said “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6 and “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God." John 3:16-18


So as I ponder this, I think - this is the theoretical - I want to live for Christ - but what is the practical? How can I keep my focus on Jesus during the week, during the mundane and exciting activities of day to day life? What comes to mind is the simple - be in the Word (i.e. read my Bible), pray, listen to Christian music, listen to online sermons, read devotional books, discuss spiritual truths and share with other Christians - and from time spent on these activities my whole life will be affected. Now my challenge is to do these things! Over the years, my time spent on these activities has ebbed and flowed and lately I have been in a dry spell.  But after today's sermon, (and putting these thoughts in writing :) I know I need to once again consciously set aside time in my day to formally focus on Jesus (i.e. such as the above activities) so that I can informally focus on Him the rest of the day!


So now I challenge you - what are you living for?

No comments:

Post a Comment